Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A House in Paradise

Narrated AbuUmamah: The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) said: I guarantee a house in the surroundings of Paradise for a man who avoids quarrelling even if he were in the right, a house in the middle of Paradise for a man who avoids lying even if he were joking, and a house in the upper part of Paradise for a man who made his character good. (Book #41, Hadith #4782)
I've actually posted about this hadith before, but I'd like to revisit it.
Over the past few years that I have been Muslim (alhamdulilah), I have read numerous blogs and posted on quite a few forums. In the beginning, when I was still learning, I was a bit too harsh sometimes with the things that I said. Not that they weren't true, but the approach could have been better. After a while I learned that it was best to stay away from things that cause fitnah. I stopped reading blogs that drove me crazy, and I stopped posting on forums for the same reasons. I still enjoy reading blogs, but I have to keep away from the ones that frustrate me. I also still like reading forums, but I don't post or comment much... it just doesn't seem to make any difference or do any good. This brings me to the first part of the hadith I posted above. 'The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: I guarantee a house in the surroundings of Paradise for a man who avoids quarreling even if he were in the right'. I've had to implement this recently. I slipped back into some of the old bad habits of reading blogs that make me crazy and I've had to step back and let it go. Nothing I can so or do will change the problem, so I leave it. For the sake of Allah swt, I leave it and walk away.
Next we have the part of the hadith about lying. 'a house in the middle of Paradise for a man who avoids lying even if he were joking' I always make an effort not to lie... even if it is a joke or I'm kidding. It is a hard thing to do, as it becomes a part of human nature to kid with people, but we have to remember that a lie is a lie, and we have been warned of the consequences of lying.
And finally, the part about good character. 'and a house in the upper part of Paradise for a man who made his character good.' I think we all get tempted sometimes, when arguing, to go for the low blow. Many a time I have typed a response to someone on a blog or forum only to delete what I wrote, knowing that it is not something a good Muslim would do. Believe me, plenty of things go through my mind, but they don't leave it. I try my best not to resort to name calling, insults or outright lies to get my point across... even when I'm angry.

InshAllah we can all learn from this hadith and try to live by it.



21 comments:

muslimah93 said...

Subhanallah! Jazakillah sis, for sharing this! This was a really amazing post. =) We should really learn from this hadith, and try achieving all three of these things! =)

HijabRockers said...

Ooohhhh....i luv this post. :)

Candice said...

That's a great hadith. Every Muslim should make these efforts and learn these lessons.

The Mujahada in Prada said...

aSalaam uAlaikum

Mash'Allah what a great post, and a wonderful blog. May Allah subhanahuwata'la bless you for your efforts. Ameen.

Allah Ma'ak sister.

Jennifer said...

Essalam Alaikum Sister,

Masha'Allah, may Allah reward you for posting this. I really appreciate your blog and what you have shared!

shahpuor said...

Assalaamu Alikum
very nice webblog sister. keep it up and nice workn,
i hv also a small blog and wana u if you want to have a banner Xchange with
http://www.muslimeen.ueuo.com

truth said...

HHamdlillah.great thoughts for peace of mind.
you got it,i got it, everybody reading this post really got it.

jazakallah khairan.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ndabdofari

Anonymous said...

many man know this hadith but many muslim man lack of consistency in follow the lesson from the hadith. The reason may be some not really face them self to Islam but more to their own ego or feeling. Only muslim who is "honest" in his worship to Allah can really follow the true path- my 2 sen opinion

Texan after UAE said...

Salam alikom dear sister!!! new to your blog and I will for sure be following. Since I've become a Muslim, I've made dawah and never stopped. Alhamdulilah. I have a all woman's Islamic forum

www.muslimsistersunite.com

come join! it's honestly a very inviting forum. no fitnah. :)))

come see... you would be a great teacher.. masha'a'Allah! great entry! I'm new to the blog world.. it's fun! I try to have a mix up of giving dawah on my blog and my life. come check it out.. masalama :))))

Durriyyah said...

MashaAllah, I love how you put this together and set yourself as the example first and foremost. It shows your humbleness, mashaAllah.

UmmAbdulAziz said...

assalam alaikum
I loved this post! Thank you very much for sharing this hadith. I'm going to save it for myslef to read it again in the future inshaAllaah.
May Allaah reward you for your efforts to be good muslim!

bangrudy said...

insya Allah... i wanna enter the house in the paradise with you.

Yunus Umar said...

Alhamdulliah. We can all contemplate and strive to follow this hadith. Thanks for posting this.

Twizzle said...

as-salaam aleikum wa rahmatullah,

wow, excellent post sis, and the explanations of each part of the hadith were very well done Mashallah.

JazakAllah khair for posting this :)

Anonymous said...

Salaam alaikum sister :),inshAllah you are good feel free to join my social network that i made myself its for muslim sisters of all ages and design your own profile,add apps,chat just click on the badge on my blog

Aisha

Anonymous said...

Great post sis.

JazakiAllah Khair for sharing it.

Anonymous said...

i love this post sister. may Allah reward u abundantly ameen

clashofswords said...

jazak Allah khair sis
i fought alot to find this hadith in english
and mira' is more than just quarreling/arguing

mira means when you are arguing with someone and you show him that he is wrong/contradicting himself in a way that hurts his feelings and makes him feel small

while arguing is ok and it serves to show the truth and teach the other side the correct

clashofswords said...

jazak Allah khair sis
mira doesnt mean arguing/quarreling
mira means when you are arguing with someone and you show him that he is wrong/contradicting himself in a way that hurts his feelings and makes him feel small

clashofswords said...

sorry consider my previous comment undone:

here is a better definition for mira (who avoids it gets a house in the surroundings of paradise)
Mira' means when you are arguing with someone and you show him that he is wrong/contradicting himself in order to hurt his feelings and make him feel small or make yourself feel victorious on him

its kind of arguing that has a bad intention, not for the sake of Allah

Hanzala said...

Assalamualikum could I have the reference it just says book 41 I know this hadeeth is authentic but which book did u get it from?? JazakAllahukhaira