Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Daily Blog for A Month?

Can I do it? I don't know why really, but I want to try write something each day for a month. So, starting today I'm going to give it a shot.

Today for my 6th grade History class we started to watch 'The Message'. Although it has its cheesy moments, it is actually very good at conveying a brief history of the beginning of Islam.

At first, the sister I co-teach with wanted to show the kids a PBS documentary called 'Empire of Faith'. I watched about 45 minutes of it one night and had to shut it off! I found many things wrong with it and I thought it best not to show it to the class. 'Empire of Faith' has non Muslim 'experts' explaining the history of Islam. It showed the battle of Badr going all the way to Mecca so that Muhammad, Sallahu Alayhi Wa Salam could break all of the idols in the Kaaba and reclaim the City for Islam. It also showed people wailing, dancing and chanting and women hitting themselves in time to a drum beat when the Prophet died. Needless to say I refused to show it. I have no idea if she still will. I'm hoping not. What is even worse is that this film is touted as 'fair and balanced' by some 'American' Muslims. Yucko!

1 comment:

Lazeena Umm Yusuf said...

Ah yes, I remember watching EMPIRE OF FAITH years ago when I started practicing Islam and those things never caught my attention really.. but you're completely right and I remember those images as well... Thats definitely not good for people who would have caught onto it! unlike my slow self.. lol